Saturday, January 26, 2008

Smog Removal

This is how I did my 2008 EXC-R 450 Cannisterectomy. I've seen several good posts about the 2007 model, but I think the 2008 is a little different. Please only use this as reference as I am not responsible for anything you do based off of what you see here.

1. Took the seat and tank off.

2. Located this elbow on right side of frame under steering column.

3. Disconnected the hose from the elbow.

4. Located this Y- joint

5. Removed the hose coming from gas cap

6. Rerouted this hose like so (I'll probably make a direct route later, I just don't like cutting hoses if I don't have to)

7. Located this hose/brass fitting near the intake from the carb

8. Removed the hose

9. Used this socket and ratchet...

10. To remove the brass fitting (I should have capped this off right here, but I couldn't find a suitable cap bolt, i've seen others leave the brass fitting and cap it with a plastic cap)

11. Located this valve...

12. And the bolt that held it together and removed...

13. Started to pull the valve out and...

14. Noticed more hose tied to frame. So I removed this as well.

15. Starting to come out now, but...

16. More hose leads to the cannister. Pulled back the number plate and yanked it out after cutting the zip tie holding it in.

17. Decided to toss the fuel catch can at the bottom of the frame by removing these two bolts.

18. Which left me with 5 hoses dangling.

19. Here is the catch can after it was removed.

20. And, here is more hose leading thru the air box.

21. I pulled all of this out.

22. And used 2 ear plugs to fill the gap in the airbox.


23. Went to the department store and bought a suitable screw to cap the hole left by step 10. Added some blue loctite to the threads.

24. Snugged it up.

25. Here is what the gas cap to frame elbow looks like

25. Here is all the stuff I removed.

26. And, here is the #42 pilot jet (brass furthest to left) from JD that replaces the stocker when the exhaust is removed. (I tried using the stocker and it would not idle) So, I installed this in the bottom of the carb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Were there any performance increases that you noticed after the can came off?